Monday, February 18, 2008

thoughts

Community.
I remember escaping SSU sometimes, just getting away and walking along the river, or down some side-street. It felt so stifling sometimes; always having someone there, everywhere. It was better once I had my own room in fourth year, but the need for space was still strong and I often spent time with my door closed against the constant babble of other people sharing my living space.
My how things have changed. If only I could hear those noisy first-years (no insult intended, there were just more of them) calling to one another; Allieren singing in her room (ok, so that was always nice), and brie playing guitar. The meal-time bell and someone screaming because they were being chased by someone else for some reason or another. The musicians in the chapel who always seemed to play when I wanted to sleep or study, and the shower running in the bathroom on the other side of the wall beside my bed.
Where are those noises now? Well, except for the lovely Korean man who sings in the shower between 12 and 2 in the morning; the traffic below my window; or the occasional relationship spat carried out in the hallway, I have no noises other than those I make myself. Out of all of those noises, none of them are community noises (except maybe the shower man, but I don't know him).
Moral: I love you guys; I miss you guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment