Saturday, March 1, 2008

"One foot in front of the other: Going through life with the lens cap off"

Living life to its fullest isn't about
checking off thrills from a list;
It's about being fearless in following my dreams,
courageous in accepting
that some will go unfulfilled
and taking the time to savor
something as simple
as a cup
of tea

-Michael


The man who wrote this poem also wrote a blog called "One foot in front of the other: Going through life with the lens cap off". It is a life-changing blog. I came across it accidently late lastish year and have been following it since. In Michael's own words, this is what the blog is about.
This blog was created Nov. 18, 2005.
I want to use it to open a window on my life and my many interests -- chief among them a passion for Japan. I lived there from 1995-98, teaching English in a rural junior high school and immersing myself in the study of Japanese religions and culture. (Visit my Web site,
http://www.sliceofjapan.com/)
I also want to share my experience of living with parathyroid cancer, an extremely rare and often incurable disease, and how this constant reminder of my own mortality shapes my life and colors my perspective.
His blog is very interested in Zen buddhism, but also in simply the characteristics of the human spirit.

I have always known

that at last I would take this road, but yesterday

I did not know that it would be today.

--by Ariwara no Norihira

Michael died in January, leaving behind many people who have been touched by his honest search for the meaning of life as his slowly came closer to its end. I was one of them, and I wish to share his blog with you all. It spans from November 2005 to January 2008 and he has written in each of the spanning months.

Some of my favourite blogs thus far, though I have many to read as I am a few years behind in reading them:
Thursday February 28, 2008. "Thinking About My Brother" and "Daiku"
Saturday, November 26, 2005. My Life as a Clock
Tuesday, December 20, 2005. Paving Stones on the Path to Hell

Life pretty much boils down to love, [he] concluded. Love, and compassion.
In short, I highly recommend his blog and, as I read through it, I'm going to share some of his insights as well as make some of my own. I hope you all enjoy them...

No comments:

Post a Comment