Thursday, May 8, 2008

Deciding to go more natural

I've decided that I waste too much. Now, this isn't a new thing, I've been trying to cut back on the garbage I produce and the negative impact I have on the environment for a while, but I'm going to take it to a whole new level for a while and see what happens. This has been inspired by No Impact Man and Chris, but also by my concern for the products I have been using daily. Chris posted Tips From No Impact Man and I checked some of them out. Facinating. Here are some of the changes I'm going to try to start making:

I will try to...
1. use Baking Soda to exfoliate my skin. Wash your face, then apply a soft paste made of three parts baking soda and one part water. Massage gently with a circular motion, avoiding the eye area; rinse clean.
2. use Baking Soda to unclog my shower drain. Pour 1/2 to 1 cup of baking soda down the drain, then slowly pour 1/2 to 1 cup of white vinegar after it. Let sit for five minutes (covered, if possible). Follow with a gallon of boiling water.
3. use Baking Soda to scrub pans. Sprinkle soda on crusted casseroles and roasting pans and let sit for five minutes. Lightly scrub and rinse.
4. use Baking Soda to brush my teeth. Use a paste of baking soda and water.
5. use Baking Soda to deodorize. Dust baking soda under your arms to absorb body odor.
6. use Baking Soda to wash my hair (along with Apple Cider Vinegar conditioner). The directions are too long to post here, so if you're curious they're
here. Hopefully I end up smelling like apples or apple cider, and not vinegar!
7. There's something about reusable pads ... but I don't think I can make the switch. If you're curious, the info is
here. ;)
8. make my own
soap. Alkali
(lye, urine or ash ) + oil = soap. This may be a bitmore difficult since I have no idea how to find lye in Korea. I'm also afraid of handling lye, don't want to pee in my soap, and don't have a woodstove (and therefore ash) to provide an alkali. Hmmmm. Suggestions?

Anyway, that's the plan Stan. And people think I'm weird because I'm a vegetarian! I'll let you all know how it goes.





No comments:

Post a Comment