Tuesday, October 23, 2007

"...racing the wind."

The wind can be gentle as well as cruel, as can life. It can be your friend, or your enemy. If life is a race, it may be less about the finish than we think. "...racing the wind through forever" is a quote from a poem I wrote once. It has several meanings to me and I'm going to share some of them with you.
-
it can mean a struggle against a power which is far bigger, stronger, and faster. A hopeless battle in life where you just can't keep up. despairing. overwhelming. defeating.
-
it can represent that struggle in a more positive manner. Struggling against that far bigger, stronger, and faster power, but also never giving up. refusing to give an inch. Personal strength and resolve. Perserverence. Challenge.
-
It can represent a playful game. running with a close friend. cavorting and enjoying the simplicity of being together.
-
It can represent freedom. Wind blowing in your hair. tears streaming from your eyes because you're running so fast. making a breakaway from where you have been. flying across the ground. refreshing. exilerating.
-
It can be all of these. Life changes and we change with it, whether we want to or not. There are times when I am fired for a challenge and have the strength to face life's problems head on. And there are times when I feel dragged along. I feel weak. Defeated and hopless. I don't know why sometimes the same wind can make me defeated when yesterday I was strong enough to run faster. There are times when I don't know where my strengths and weaknesses originate. And I don't know why I feel differently today than yesterday. I have the same life now as then. This morning even. I really and truly just don't know.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this...
    I feel like this too, and go from emotion to emotion all the time too, and never understand why.
    Blog comments are so insufficient...blah. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I really like what you said here. 'that rachel person' is true when she (I'm assuming it's a she) talks about the insufficient of blog comments. I think that it's a pretty big thing when people put a bit of who they are out in the open for others to see. It's real, and so are you. I've always admired that in you; that 'it's me, take it or leave it' attitude allows people to actually see you. I think it's tough to show bits of our true selves sometimes..

    ReplyDelete